Re: HP Plotters

charlie thibault (cth@bruker.com)
Tue, 9 Nov 93 9:25:54 EST

> >Keith Brown writes:
>
> >> ...that it works fine except that I could not get it to work at a baud rate
> >> higher than 1200.
>
> >This sounds like an incorrect cable, ...
>
> It was definately not an incorrect cable since it is now and has been used
> for several years as a serial communications cable (null modem configuration).

It could still be the cable. If the data lines (pins 2 and 3) are correct
but the handshake lines are not data communication would work fine as long
as both computers are able to handle the data at the selected baud rate.
In the case of the plotter it cannot plot fast enough to accept the data
at 9600 baud so it must buffer it and when the buffer is full tell the
computer to wait. This is done in two ways hardware (usually DTR) or
software (XON/XOFF). The Aspect only accepts DTR so if the cable is not
right the handshake will not be right.

Another possibility is that the plotter was not (or can not be) configured
for hardware handshake. If the plotter can not be configured for hardware
handshake a plot buffer which can be configured either way may be a solution.
Since Keith says it worked with an Hp 7550A it is probably a matter
of not having the handshaking set right as opposed to the cable.

--

       ...     ...	Charles G. Thibault
      .    * .    .	Manager of Software Development