Re: plotting

Ross Mair (rmair@stan.xx.swin.OZ.AU)
Mon, 15 Nov 1993 13:30:48 +1100 (EDT)

Peter Lundberg wrote:

> More uxnmr-plotting:
(or just about any other NMR software package)

> Is someone else using the macintosh program "PlotView" (sold/created by

We have looked at it.

> One is to connect the mac directly (serial cable) and then use the mac as an
> hpgl-plotter. (Haven't tried this.)

Too difficult. The Mac required obscure cabling. Easier using a PC!
However, this is the only way on older, pre-unix spectrometers.

> The other way is to send the uxnmr-plot to a hpgl-file on the x32

This is the best option, IMHO

> Then you transfer the hpgl-file to a mac (ethernet) using a program
> such as Fetch

Or via ftp to a PC.

> On the mac you take the hpgl file and drag-drop it on the PlotView icon (only
> the high-resolution mode is useful for spectra). The PlotView program is
> automatically started up and the file is converted saved in a normal graphics
> format (such as Canvas). Then you open the Canvas file (or whatever) and add
> labels, change the scale font, etc. Scale the spectrum down to about 40% so
>it'll fit on a single page (this step is neccessary for high-resolution plots).

In our experience, Plotview reduced the resolution of the spectra a
noticeable degree. Can't explain this first off, but it was noticeable when
the spectrum was printed on a laser printer, not just on the old Mac
monitor.

I know PC's are looked down on, but the HPGL files appear much easier to
handle on the PC environment than on the Mac. The PC doesn't require the
file be changed in format, before you do anything to it. Both Word and
WordPerfect for Win load in HPGL files directly. I believe Corel Draw does
also, tho I haven't used it. For simple touching up, the MS draw mini-app
that comes with WinWord is adequate. The final print quality is superior to
what I've seen from Plotview on the Mac.

> More advantages are that the files occupy A LOT
> less diskspace space (the file is around 10-15 kbyte) than a scanned graphics
> file (can be about a Mbyte)

Oohh... Most of mine have been in the 200-500 KB region. I've only had them
less than 100 KB for very simple, expanded, 1D plots. Anything arrayed,
stacked, or 2D is pushing 500 KB.
(Maybe this is a difference between old, unstructured HPGL code, and the
newer HPGL/2 language)
But yes... its still a big improvement on a scanned graphic.
And far better than cutting/pasting/photocopying... etc.

Ross

Ross Mair Email: rmair@stan.xx.swin.oz.au
NMR Lab Snail: Mail 41, Swinburne University,
Applied Chemistry Dept PO Box 218, Hawthorn, 3122.
Swinburne University of Technology Fax: +61-3-8190834
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia Voice: +61-3-8198843