Aspect 2000/3000 > UNIX file transfers

Joe Laughlin (jsl@bruker.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 93 13:27:56 EDT

Hi BUM Users,

Kirk Marat writes:

> A problem arises when transfering data from a word addressed
> computer like the A3000 to a byte addressed computer (eg a
> UNIX box). That is, when the 24 bit word is split into bytes,
> which byte is sent first?

This depends on the software on the Aspect 3000. Bytes of a 24
bit word on the Aspect are seperated out via rotation and masking.
There are two ways to rotate, and this results in two different
possible byte orderings.

> Does anyone out there know if there are byte order differences
> in the resulting UNIX file when an A3000 file is transfered to
> a UNIX computer by different methods?

Yes this is possible and depends on the software used.

> ie. Does a Bruknet transfer produce a different byte order
> than, say, a Kermit transfer? Do versions of bruknet
> running on big endian machines like a Sun or SGI result in
> the same byte order as bruknet on the little endian X32?

The Kermit protocol specifies the byte order of BINARY transfers.
The Kermit and NMR-Link software for the Aspect 2000/3000 use the
same format. Bruknet sends the data in other byte order, making it
different than the Kermit and NMR-link byte order. The byte
ordering is really specified by the Aspect software and just gets
written as a stream of bytes on the other machine.

If data is transferred to a little-endian machine and then sent to
a big-endian machine or vice versa, if transferred as a BINARY file
it will just be transferred as a stream of bytes. No changing of
the byte order will occur unless the transfer package intentionally
changes the byte ordering. As far as I know TCP/IP BINARY
transfers make no changes in byte ordering.

Therefore you need to know if the data was transferred via Kermit,
NMR-Link or UNIX Bruknet and the byte order of your machine to know
if a byte swap is necessary to convert the data.

protocol big-endian little-endian
Kermit SWAP & EXT EXT
NMR-Link SWAP & EXT EXT
Bruknet EXT SWAP & EXT
Bruknet Binary NONE SWAP

SWAP = swap bytes, EXT = sign extend to 32 bits/word

Vax VMS Bruknet is a completely different story. If you need
information on this format I can fax you the necessary info.

Lightnet to the X-32 is also somewhat different.

I have to go now because I have a byte swap induced headache ;-}.

Joe Laughlin human: (508) 667-9580
Assistant Manager, machine: jsl@bii.bruker.com
Software Development
Bruker Instruments, Inc.