Re: replacing ASPECT 3000

Graham Barlow (gkb1@bohr.york.ac.uk)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 16:17:03 +0000

On Mar 12, 5:16pm, Graham, Lachlan wrote:
> We are looking at replacing/upgrading the ASPECT 3000 which runs our MSL 100
> console. I would be interested to hear how other users have fared with new
> hard disks ( Bruker SCSI upgrade), the Tecmag Mac replacement for the ASPECT
> or any other upgrades/modifications that you have tried.
>-- End of excerpt from Graham, Lachlan

Just a couple of thoughts from my investigations regarding the same thing last
year.

o Computer replacements are generally NOT designed for an MSL.
o I asked both Bruker UK and Hans Foerster himself in
Carlsruhe about computer upgrades for MSL and
they said 'will never happen'.
o I asked Tecmag and they said 'maybe by 3Q 1996', and
they would be interested in knowing what the demand would be.
o ASPECT upgrades are generally very expensive, but we do make
good use of the Ethernet interface (Bruknet) this might be more
useful than a SCSI upgrade???

Can a manufacturer prove me wrong, I'd love to upgrade my MSL300 with a new
computer without throwing away the entire console.

Regards, Graham Barlow

--

/ Dr. Graham Barlow, NMR Service Manager \ / gkb1@york.ac.uk \ [ Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of York, York, UK ][ Tel: 01904 432506 ] [ http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/chem/nmr ][ Mobile: 0402 181253 ] \ http://www.york.ac.uk/~gkb1/ / \ Fax: 01904 432516 /