Re: ASPECT 3000 data link

Graham Barlow (gkb1@bohr.york.ac.uk)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:43:50 +0000

On Mar 22, 8:38am, Oggenfuss Peter MSM PP43 wrote:
> Subject: ASPECT 3000 data link

> We would like to transfer NMR data from a Bruker 3000 Aspect to WIN-NMR
> running on a PC under Windows NT 3.51.
>
> We didn't hear good things about BRUKNET and don't want to have a
> bi-directional parallel link (Resonance Instruments).

Bruknet works for us. 6 PCs and one A300 is our current setup. The PCs are
running WfWG or Win95. Each PC grabs its own spectra from the A300 and stores
it on a common data disk which is actually on an INDY thus allowing data access
from any PC afterwards. Bruknet is far from a good product but has proven to
be pretty reliable over the last 4 years. I did buy a cheap ethernet bridge to
put between the Aspect and the rest of the world, not sure why it works but it
does seem to help reliability.

Before that we used a serial link and Kermit to a VAX and then tcp/ip to the
PCs. If you want access to only one PC then kermit is OK but slow; it has the
advantage of being FREE whereas Bruknet does have an extreme proce tag.

> I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with a TCP/IP link.

I don't see that the aspect will ever be capable of supporting a TCP stack;
it's rather too single minded, slow and memory bound. Can someone prove me
wrong?

Sorry to say that Bruknet is the only none point-to-point method I've ever
seen.

Graham

--

/ Dr. Graham Barlow, NMR Service Manager \ / gkb1@york.ac.uk \ [ Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of York, York, UK ][ Tel: 01904 432506 ] [ http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/chem/nmr ][ Mobile: 0402 181253 ] \ http://www.york.ac.uk/~gkb1/ / \ Fax: 01904 432516 /