Re: Tape problems

Deane D McIntyre (dmcintyr@acs.ucalgary.ca)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:51:31 -0600

In message <26061016232329@chem.wisc.edu> "Charles G. Fry" writes:

> Bruker users:
>
> We are having problems reading two tapes that have valuable data.
> We have a CDC model T-45 tape drive with the B-MT 100 interface.
> When we try to do a directory on the tapes (from inside TAPE program,
> DIR =M1), the software crashes, requiring a reboot. When trying to
> COP **.*=M1/=D1, one tape freezes the software, and the other gives
> an error message SYSTEM ERROR AT PC=10277 AC= 405 .
>
> My question is the following: have any of you been able to recover
> data from "bad" tapes? Is there some way to do a dump of the data on
> the tape, even if the directory or low-level information is scambled?

We had a similiar problem a few years ago. Very old tapes can go
bad (the oxide coating starts to flake off, resulting in dropouts)
but in my experience the problem is most likely in the drive itself.
First off all, make sure that both the tape head and the BOT/EOT
senson are clean (a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol are good for
cleaning purposes; swab in the direction that the tape runs). The
other problem we have experienced is that the tape head becomes
magnetizied with time ( not too suprizing in a NMR lab!). Use
of a tape head demagnitizer will help here (remove the tape from
the drive first!).

Failing these measures, perhaps your computer department still has an
old drive sitting around........

Cheers, Deane D McIntyre
dmcintyr@acs.ucalgary.ca

Bio-NMR facility