Re: modulation of spin rate???

Tonio Gianotti (TG@bruker.de)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:14:50 +0100

The feature of a variable spinning rate is thought to help to "blur"
spinning side bands when acquisition requires a high number of scans,
making sure that from scan to scan the sidebands will not accumulate at the
same point.

This feature was first implemented in 1982, and I think hardly ever used.
>From the point of view of the development team of that time we put it in
"just in case". Since you never really know how things will evolve and what
will prove to be really useful or not. We then did not go through the trouble of
removing it.

Regards,

Tonio Gianotti

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:43:53 -0500
> To: bruker-users-mail@bloch.cchem.berkeley.edu
> From: "Charles G. Fry" <fry@chem.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Re: modulation of spin rate???

> Bruker Users,
>
> Guess I should go ahead and ask the naive question, since I was
> totally unaware of the RO function on Bruker spectrometers: what
> is the utility of having variable spin rate? I thought it might
> be to "blur" spinning sidebands when looking at very low intensity peaks
> close to a solvent peak, for example; but not only could the spin rate
> be changed to get around this (I think a better solution), but on our
> AC's the variable rate change is so slow as to still give clean
> sidebands during a nominal AQ.
>
> Is there some application that I am not seeing where this function
> becomes valuable?
>
> >Turning on or off the variable spin rate can be done with the "RO"
> >command in DISNMR. After typing RO, the computer asks if you want
> >spinning on or off, then what the spin rate should be, and then if
> >you want it to be variable. I don't know of a way to change this
> >condition woth the keypad.
> >Henry
> >>
> >> What keystrokes on the SCM unit are used to program it to triangle-wave
> >> modulate the sample spinning rate, and how do you _DEPROGRAM_ it?
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Gerald A. Pearson INTERNET: gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu
> >> Chem. Dept., Univ. of Iowa OFFICE: 319-335-1336
> >> Iowa City, IA 52242-1219, USA LABS: -1332, -0073 FAX -1270
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >>

> >==============================================================================
> > . o . .
> > . . . . Henry Luhrs
> > . . . . hcl@bruker.com
> > B R U K E R
> > . . . . Phone 508-667-9580 Ext 329
> > . . . . Fax 508-667-6406
> > . o . .

> Charlie Fry Tel: (608)262-3182
> Director, MR Facility Fax: (608)262-0381
> Chem. Dept., Univ. Wisconsin
> Madison, WI 53706 USA email: fry@chem.wisc.edu

Tonio Gianotti Phone: +49 721 5161262
HR NMR Development Fax : +49 721 5161337
Bruker Elektronik GmbH Email: tg@bruker.de
Akazienweg 2
D 76287 Rheinstetten Germany