attenuators

G. Pearson (gpearson@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:49:51 -0500

> From: "Graham, Lachlan" <Lachlan.Graham@dbce.csiro.au>
> To: bum <bruker-users-mail@bloch.cchem.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Oscilloscopes, attenuator
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 12:00:00 PDT
>
> ... Also, does anyone know a good supplier of rf attenuators of
> 30db with a 1kW peak rating (I guess probably 20W continuous)?

Check out Bird. I _highly_ recommend their products. They sell
attenuators ranging from 5 w continuous to 4 kw continuous. We use their
25 watts series 8306 (5 kw peak for 5 microsec. max.). They are
available in 3, 6, 10, 20, and 30 db. Among other things, we use them
for our scope to look at the output of our rf amplifiers for CP/MAS. The
only time we've smoked one was when we tried shoving _LONG_ pulses (tens
of MILLIseconds) around 2kw into it. Several years ago, a student
overloaded one, it overheated and melted into the vinyl tile floor, but
it's still perfectly OK!!! Very robust, and excellent electronic
characteristics. vswr <= 1.25 dc to 4 GHz, atten. flat to 0.8 dB or
better from dc to 2 GHz.

Bird Electronics Corp.
30303 Aurora Road
Cleveland, OH 44139 USA
phone 216-248-1200
fax 216-248-5426

-- Gerry
Gerald A. Pearson INTERNET: gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu
Chem. Dept., Univ. of Iowa OFFICE: 319-335-1336
Iowa City, IA 52242-1219, USA LABS: -1332, -0073 FAX -1270