Re: xwinplot files [eps]

Julian Keates (julian@nmr400a.mols.susx.ac.uk)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 10:17:50 +0000

Dear David,

On Nov 28, 9:17pm, David Naugler wrote:
> Subject: Re: xwinplot files
> > Dear BUMers,
> >
> > In the old days, we plotted spectra in Xwinnmr using hp_A4 as the
> > printer-plotter, created with this option an hpgl file, transferred this to
> > any wordprocessor, converted it with the appropriate hpgl filter,
> > annotated it and printed within the report.
> >
> > When one uses the more advanced Xwinplot, this option is apparently
> > not more available. By printing to a file, a postscript file is created.
> >
> > Does anyone know, how to integrate and/or convert this postscript
> > file into a report using textprograms like winword 7.0 or others? The
> > filter for encapsulated postscript offered by winword does not work.
> >
> > stb
>
> The filter for Winword 7.0 is set up for an EPS file which may have some
> relation to a postscript file. In general, it is not possible to convert
> a PostScript file to EPS. However, many single page PostScript files can
> be converted to EPS by changing the first line of the file to
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0 There are a number of postscript commands which
> are not permitted in an EPS file. I would suggest you get a copy of
> Ghostview32 for Win95 which has additional help and a PS to EPS command
> which helps to create the encapsulating border. I have used this to
> import postscript files created by Xwinnmr into Winword 7.0
>
> The HPGL filter available for Winword 7.0 is excellent. I have used it to
> import HPGL files of 3D NMR spectra output by Aurelia. In my opinion the
> quality attainable with HPGL is better than that of EPS.
>
> As far as I know there are two version of Ghostview available, one by GNU
> and the other by Alladin. Both are freeware. You'll have to search around
> the FTP sites for the latest compiled versions for Win95.
>
> David Naugler
> Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
> Simon Fraser University
>-- End of excerpt from David Naugler

While it's true that (in some cases) ghostscript will successfully convert
postscript to EPS format, that does not guarantee its successful import into
word 6 or 7. The problems seem to stem from the bitmap preview and whether it's
in the eps file or not. We've tried on many occassions with irregular success.

The conversion from PS to HPGL using ghostscript works very well.

Julian.

--
| Julian Keates                                                      |
| MOLS P/G P/H                                                       |