Re: Hp Laserjet 1100

Phil Dennison (p.r.dennison@strath.ac.uk)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:39:39 +0100 (BST)

On Fri 02 Apr, george furst wrote:
> Hi fellow bummers,
>
> Has anyone successfully gotten a Hp Laserjet 1100 to work with
> either a ac/am system
> or SGI O2 running Irix6.3 and Xwinnmr2.0. my previous HP 6l works fine on
> either machine. I use a powered inmac serial to parallel converter on the
> ac/am machines running Disb or r 91 or 94 and the parallel port for the SGI
> O2's., the more expensive Hp 2100 tn 's work fine on these machines.
>
> George
>
> George T Furst;Ph.D.
> Department of Chemistry
> University of Pennsylvania
> Philadelphia,Pa 19104-6323
> phone: 215-898-3407
> fax: 215-8985129
> email: furst@sas.upenn.edu

There is a bug in Irix 6.3 which prevents the 1100 printer from working.
There is an SG patch for this which I obtained from Guenter Schmidt
(Guenter.Schmidt@bruker.de) at Bruker. It was also necessary to alter
the file /var/sysgen/master.d/ecplp I can supply full details if necessary.

This bug is fixed in Irix version 6.5, as the 1100 is currently the
standard printer supplied by Bruker, I believe.

When I was investigating my problems with the 1100 I found that it would
not work either with an Indy running Irix 5.3.

I was baffled by this for a while as I too could get a HPLJ6L working with
no problems.

I have another 1100 on order to try with my X32 via a serial to parallel
converter, but haven't attempted this yet. If this fails I can swap the
1100 for a 6L which is currently on a PC and in which I've expanded the
memory.

Regards,

Phil.

--