Archiving Xwin-NMR data

From: Jim Bloxsidge (j.bloxsidge@surrey.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 02:09:06 PST

Thanks for all the replies.

The general view seems to be that the full Xwin-NMR directory structure
should be preserved on CD-RW or zip-disk, with or without deletion of
processed data.

Many of the users (even in academic environments, now) are constrained by
quality-control or other rules to preserve *all* their data, anyway. Others
point out that it's much less troublesome to reimport to Xwin-NMR later.

One user *did* say that he kept JCAMP.DX files on the network for
convenient quick look-up.

As I'm dealing with *occasional* reprocessing, usually for display or
reporting purposes, for which the users seem to find NUTS or MestreC quite
adequate, I've written a "save" macro, to be used immediately after
acquisition, which asks for a title and then generates an FID JCAMP.

I'll decide whether to invest in a CD-RW drive, later.

Jim Bloxsidge.
J P Bloxsidge Email: j.bloxsidge@surrey.ac.uk
Department of Chemistry
University of Surrey Tel: +44-(0)1483-876852
GUILDFORD
Surrey GU2 7XH Fax: +44-(0)1483-876851
UK