Bruker BLAX/H Power Supply Cooling Fan

From: John Harwood (jharwood@uic.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 08:58:27 PDT

Dear Listmembers,

This posting is aimed at those of you with Bruker Avance-type spectrometers
with BLAX/BLAXH transmitters.

This spring the BLAXH-50 amplifier on our DRX-500 failed without warning.
After noting that one of the line fuses (on the back of the unit) was
blowing constantly, we discovered that the power supply in the amplifier
had failed. We replaced the power supply with another one from Bruker and
the amplifier is fine now.

I happened to notice while doing the replacement that the small cooling fan
on the front of the original power supply was seized up; this probably
precipitated the failure. Unfortunately, these little fans are not
apparent from a casual glance at the front of the amplifier as it sits in
the console. However, one can shine a flashlight through the ventilation
slots on the left front of the amplifier case (by the lighted power
switch), and if you peer through the slots while doing so one can see the
little fan on the front of the power supply, and thus check if it is
running. Since our fan failed after only two years of use, those of you
with the same amplifiers might want to check the functioning of these
cooling fans.

Incidentally, I found while checking the other transmitters on our console
that it appears the BLARH-100 transmitter has a similar power supply
cooling fan arrangement.

With best regards,

        John

        John S. Harwood, D.Sc.