SGI O2 or PC Linux

From: tong (nmruser@sina.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:03:31 PDT

Dear Bruker Users,

Here I'd like to have your opion on upgrading consoles.

We are to install a cryoprobe on our Bruker Avance DMX600 next year.
Currently we use a SGI Indy for instrumental control, so we are faced
with the problem of upgrading both some boards in the console and the
workstation. Since money is always scant, we hope to finish the
upgrading more economically.
Currently we have the choice of replacing the Indy with a SGI O2/Irix or
a PC/Linux. The latter costs apparently less. The things I want to know
is:

1. Which works better (stability is perhaps of main concern, also
reliability) comparing a SGI O2 with Xwinnmr for Irix and a PC with
Xwinnmr for Linux? Bruker has a long history in developing Xwinnmr on
SGI machines while Xwinnmr for Linux seems to be still in its alpha
version.

2. We want to retain the monitor on the Indy for the upgraded computer
since it's an EIZO FlexScan T562 that works better near a magnet. We
currently still don't know whether it will fit in with the new SGI O2 or
PC or both. Will a PC/Linux support such a monitor? It seems the
existing signal cable connecting the monitor and the Indy is different
from the signal cables of the monitors on our other PC running Linux. So
will new cable and /or adaptor be needed or we have to use a totally new
monitor?

Thanks for any hints.

Yu-Feng

--