Re: Hpgl

Ross Mair (rmair@stan.xx.swin.OZ.AU)
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 00:53:29 +1100 (EDT)

> a couple of months ago there was a buzz on this mailing list about
> hpgl files. When I was writing my thesis, I wanted to import
> the spectra directly into MS word (version 2.0 windows), but I found that
> the spectra created by UXNMR (usin plotdevice HPGL) was not recognized
> by Word, so I had to resort to converting it to Felix format, processing and
> plotting in Felix, and importing the hpgl files created by Felix directly into
> MS Word. Does anyone know how to create plots in HPGL format that is
> recognized by MS Word dirctly so that you can go directly from UXNMR to
> MS Word?

If the output from UXNMR is like that dumped from our Varian Gemini
spectrometer, then it is in 'unstructured' HPGL, which I think is also
called HPGL1.
WinWord only reads 'structured' HPGL, or HPGL/2 type code.
(However, Wordperfect for Win seems to read both, on limited testing)

We have code that converts one to the other, to run on a PC. I'm not sure
how sound it is, but it has worked everytime so far for me.

Ross

Ross Mair Email: rmair@stan.xx.swin.oz.au
NMR Lab Snail: Mail 41, Swinburne University,
Applied Chemistry Dept PO Box 218, Hawthorn, 3122.
Swinburne University of Technology Fax: +61-3-8190834
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia Voice: +61-3-8198843