Re: Remote printing

Karen Ann Smith (kasmith@iastate.edu)
Thu, 25 May 1995 08:41:57 CDT

Martin Waugh wrote:

> We have a Silicon Graphics Indy (attached to a DMX400) and a
>Bruker ASPECTstation (used as a workstation). The SGI has a
>Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 560C (our only printer) on the parallel port. We
>would like to print to this from both machines. Currently we can only
>plot remotely from the Aspect station using Xedplot, but we would like
>to use the normal UXNMR plotting routines too (plot, quickplot,

I must start out with the disclaimer that I have two Indys, so it is
possible that this is not relevant to AspectStations.

Irix does not do lpr (normally). There are two ways around this:

1) load eoe2.sw.bsdlpr onto the computer (this is additional software
available on either the "standard" Irix 5.2 CDrom, or the development
disk (I can't remember which). This will allow lpr printing. We use
this to print from our Indy to printers attached to Suns and Decs.

2) get the "lpr to lp" conversion. This is available from some ftp site
(whose name I cannot remember). Check the comp.sys.sgi.admin news group
for a pointer. (The SGI faq can be reached via WWW at
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/sgi/faq/top.html)
I haven't used this since I use option 1.

Neither of the above is necessary between two SGIs. A printer attached
to another SGI is seen as a "local" printer by the SGI. It can be
installed with the printer manager just like a local one.

Having said all that, we use xedplot for everything. I like it much
better than plot. I was told about a year ago that "plot" is old,
stupid, and will only work with local printers. I _think_ that plot
will only plot to printers set up with cfpp. The problem is, cfpp will
only "see" locally attached printers.

Hope this is of some help,

Karen Ann

Karen Ann Smith kasmith@iastate.edu
Chemical Instrument Services (515) 294-4057
Iowa State University Ames, IA 50011
"Facts are the enemy of Truth" - Don Quixote