ZZNET/NMRNET

G. Pearson (gpearson@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 17:49:45 -0500

To:
Dee-Hua Huang, Marcelino Bernardo, and anyone else interested in
NMRNET and/or ZZNET.

I appologize for my current slow response to email. There are 3 reasons for
this.
1. I'm currently more busy than usual at work.
2. School is back in session, and everyone and her brother is tying up
the computers at our computer center. The modem lines are jammed much of the
day, and I frequently can't get access.
3. I've got jury duty commitments through next week! (Hopefully, things
will NOT go as slowly as the O.J. trial!)

> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 12:42:52 PDT
> From: dee@scripps.edu (Dee-Hua Huang)
> To: gpearson@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
> Subject: Software for ZZNET/NMRNET
>
> Dear Dr. Pearson:
>
> I am in the process setting up NMRNET on the AM-300 spectrometer. I
> remember that few months ago, you posted a very detail information
> regarding ZZNET/NMRNET on the AMMRL network. You mentioned that you could
> provide more information about running the program on both PC and Aspect.
> I have obtained the NMRNET files from Ohio State Univ. already. Could you
> please kindly email me other files (e.g. DOS .bat files) you uses on your
> PC, and other files you think would be helpful for me to get it started.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When enough of the alligators leave my swamp so I can get back to draining it,
I'll put together a set of uuencoded .ZIP files containing the various
programs and one or more readme files.

If anyone wants me to email them a copy of this stuff, just send me an email
note requesting it. You WILL need a uudecode program and an unzip program
(e.g. PKUNZIP).
If you don't have a uudecode program, I can email you a copy in the form
of a DEBUG script file. If you have DOS, you have DEBUG. Once you have the
uudecode program, we can bootstrap up from there.

> I deeply appreciate if you can also provide the software for Aspect-3000
> computer. Should I send you a 8" floppy or a 9 track magnetic tape for
> them? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8" floppy.
Alternatively, you can contact Charles E. Cottrell, the author of
NMRNET. (See details below.)

> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 23:41:37 -0400
> From: mbernar@challenger.erenj.com (Marcelino Bernardo)
> To: gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu
> Subject: NMRNET
>
> Hello Gerald,
>
> I've been hearing about NMRNET from a number of very satisfied "costumers".
> Would you please send me a copy?

Marcelino, See comments above.

> I'm also interested in a Macintosh version. Is it available?

No. Only avaiable for PC.

> If not, I may be able to do the port myself or have someone here do it.

You'll need to contact the author, and discuss this with him.

> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:48:45 -0500
> To: bruker-users-mail@bloch.cchem.berkeley.edu
> From: mbernar@erenj.com (Marcelino Bernardo)
> Subject: Re: NMRLINK, NMRNET or ZZNET
>
> I would like to thank all those who responded to my inquiry. I would be
> happy to forward all replies to anyone interested.
>
> It seems like NMRNET is a good alternative to the pricey NMRLINK ($1800).
> Both NMRNET and ZZNET are free, but NMRNET is supposed to be more stable.
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my hands on it. I've tried to send e-
> mail to the author at gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu, but I haven't received any
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm NOT the author of either NMRNET or ZZNET. I just use the programs, and
I've written some "Unix script" type DOS BATCH FILES to make it convenient and
easy (just choose from menus) for the computer-"challenged" user to transfer
data, process/plot it using Felix-for-Windows or NUTS, manage the data (copy
from/to the PC hard disk to/from floppies), delete old stuff, format floppies,
etc. ---- ALL THE TIME, KEEPING THE DATA FOR EACH RESEARCH GROUP TOTALLY
SEPARATE FROM THAT OF THE OTHER RESEARCH GROUPS. This is important, because
we have over 100 NMR users checked out to use one or more of our spectrometers
(AC-300, WM-360, MSL-300, AMX-600).

> reply. Could someone help?

NMRNET
Copyright (C) 1993, by Charles E. Cottrell, all rights reserved.
Cottrell Charles E.
Ohio State University
120 W. 18th Avenue
Columbus OH 43210

PHONE: 614-292-0489
FAX: 614-292-1685
EMAIL: ccottrel@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Selected quotes from the NMRNET documentation:

> NMRNET is a program to transfer data between an ASPECT and a PC. Data is
> transferred from the parallel or punch port of an ASPECT over a shielded
> ribbon cable to a Keithley Metrabyte PIO-12 card placed in an IBM
> compatible PC. ... This program uses the same hardware as described in
> the article, "Drafting Table and Light box Software for Multidimensional
> NMR Spectral Analysis (PIXI). The Personal Computer Workstation," by
> Markley et al. ... For a 32k Bruker fid, the transfer time is about 3
> seconds. And a 1 Megaword SER file is transferred in 1 minute 26 seconds.
> ... There are two version of the program for the PC. The first named
> WNMRNET.EXE written and compiled with Turbo Pascal for Windows runs in
> Microsoft Windows Version 3.0 or preferably in Windows Version 3.1. The
> other version NMRNET.EXE compiled with Turbo Pascal 5.0 is a dos version of
> the program. The Aspect version was compiled with Pascom. ... For users of
> ZZNET, the most important difference is the byte order of the transferred
> data, and the fact that the minus one sector is transmitted back to the
> ASPECT when data is transferred from the PC back to the ASPECT. The
> program also recognizes the ZZNET data format when a ZZNET file is sent
> back to the Bruker and correctly transfers the data along with the minus
> one sector which contains a large number of parameters. See the file
> NMRPAR.PAS for a list of parameters in the minus one sector.
>
> This version of the program works for ascii files, fids and spectra both 1-
> D and 2-D. Parameter files and shim files are sent properly to the PC but
> they are not transferred back with the correct size so DISNMR will not
> recognize them.
>
> 1. Zs. Zolnai, W.M. Westler, E.L. Ulrich, and J.L. Markley,
> J. Magn. Reson. 88,511(1990).

Gerald A. Pearson INTERNET: gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu
Chem. Dept., Univ. of Iowa VOICE: 319-335-1336
Iowa City, IA 52242-1219, USA FAX: 319-335-1270