Re: Text Editor

Andreas Huennebeck (ah@bruker.de)
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 10:13:03 +0100 (MET)

Dr. Alan Boyd <cheasfb@bonaly.hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> If you look at
> http://cdibm.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html you will find how to download a
> handy, public domain, GUI-style text editor called NEdit. This is
> supplied as object code for all the usual Unix machines, and source code
> for the rest of us. We've tried to compile this for the Aspect Station,
> but failed, with error messages looking like a lot of the C libraries
> were missing. Has anyone else tried this? Has anyone succeeded?

I'm glad to offer all AspectStation1 Users the possibiblity to load
the binary distribution NEdit V3.1.1 from the Bruker ftp servers in
Germany and the USA.

To load NEdit follow the instructions below:

Germany USA
------- ---
ftp ftp.bruker.de ftp ftp.bruker.com
login: anonymous login: anonymous
password: <your email address> password: <your email address>
ftp> cd as1 ftp> cd pub/nmr/mirror-khe/binaries.as1
ftp> bin ftp> bin
ftp> prompt ftp> prompt
ftp> mget nedit-3.1.1.* ftp> mget nedit-3.1.1.*
ftp> bye ftp> bye

Read the instructions in nedit-3.1.1.readme file.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITH NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND
INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR
TRADE PRACTICE. THERE WILL BE NO SUPPORT FROM BRUKER.

I had to take the call to the function setsid() in comments because
it is not available on the AspectStation and which may cause problems
unknown to me, when NEdit forks to execute commands. Nevertheless,
NEdit seems to work.

Happy editing.
A. Huennebeck

... ... Andreas C. M. Huennebeck
. * . . Software Engineer
. . . . Bruker Analytische Messtechnik GmbH
B R U K E R D-76287 Rheinstetten, Germany
. . . . Tel : 49 (721) 5161-444
. * . . Fax : 49 (721) 5161-437
... ... email: ah@bruker.de