Re: NMRNET

G. Pearson (gpearson@BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:59:17 -0600

Jim,

NMRNET is running quite reliably for us now, but we _have_ had problems
in the past, particularly when we were using longer cables and _also_
running ZZNET. Things I can think of to try (possibly also in
combination) are:

1. Try powering down the PC, power down the Aspect, & then reboot
everything. The hardware (?) sometimes seems to latch up, and this seems
to clear it. This is the very first thing I try whenever we have
problems, and this works for us in nearly all cases.

2. Try restarting the PC in DOS and run the DOS version of NMRNET,
in case Microsloth Windoze is doing something funky, trying to be
helpful.

3. Check the cable, and maybe build a new one. We now use cables
only 3 feet long, and I find that they work much more reliably than long
ones, particularly when transferring large 2D files. I once found that I
had three (3) bad cables, and I was able to figure out that the problem
was with the cables only because the fourth cable was OK!!!!

4. If all else fails, get a '386 or '486 machine and dedicate it to
file transfers _only_, using the DOS version of NMRNET. This procedure
works quite well for us.

FWIW, we use NMRNET on our WM-360, AC-300, and MSL-300, but with '486
machines running in DOS with ZIP drives on them. A .BATch file CD's to a
directory on the hard disk, deletes any files there, runs NMRNET, and
than copies the contents of the buffer directory to the root of the ZIP
disk. The user then takes the ZIP disk, plugs it into the ZIP drive on
any one of several Pentium PC's around the labs, imports the data into
NUTS directly from the ZIP disk, and crunches/plots it. If the user
wants to save the data, they simply use their own zip disk and the data
are archived automatically. If not, then they can use one of the "NMR
data transfers only" ZIP disks lying around the labs.

Hope this helps. -- Gerry
Gerald A. Pearson INTERNET: gerald-pearson@uiowa.edu
Chem. Dept., Univ. of Iowa OFFICE: 319-335-1336
Iowa City, IA 52242-1219, USA LABS: -1332, -0073 FAX -1270