Re: MSL-300 computer rack fan replacement?

Marcelino Bernardo (mbernar@erenj.com)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 17:20:48 -0400

At 6:57 PM -0400 10/22/97, Marcelino Bernardo wrote:
>The fan on the computer rack of our MSL-300 quit working causing the
>Aspect 3000 computer to overheat. I was told by a coworker (we have 2)
>that when his fan quit a few months ago, he was unable to get a
>replacement part from Bruker.
>
>Does anyone know of a replacement? Otherwise, we're plan on mounting a row
>of muffin fans on a panel to replace it.
>
>Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied. Michelle O'Neil, Detlef Mueller, Jane Strouse,
T. Pratum, Vahur Maemets, and Charlie Dickinson. The problem has been fixed
for now. One of the Aspect 3000 fans was bad. After replacing it, the
computer now runs without overheating without the rack fans and with the
front and rear panel removed.

The question now is whether it's worth replacing the rack fans with a set
of muffin fans. Is the rack cooler with the covers removed without fans or
with the fans and covers? Has anyone actually done any temperature
measurements?

Marcelino Bernardo
Exxon Research & Engineering, Co. mbernar@erenj.com
Route 22 East (908) 730-2324
Annandale, New Jersey 08801 (908) 730-3232 (Fax)