RE: rates for outside users

James C. Johnston (James.C.Johnston@lerc.nasa.gov)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:03:48 -0500

We aren't NSF funded but we also don't use our NMR instruments to compete
with the private sector. Even with that, the question that was asked (about
rates for non-academic corporate users) is of interest for a couple of
reasons:

It lets us compare the costs of running our own instruments against hiring
an outside contractor.

It gives us some idea about what to charge other organizations at the
center to use our instrument.

Chris

At 09:53 AM 3/31/98 PST, you wrote:
>John,
>
>We sincerely hope that you are aware that NSF funded instrumentation, even
if
>NSF funding is only a small percentage of total instrument cost, can NOT be
>used to compete with the private sector. We all know, of course, that this
>unfair competition occurs on a regular basis. Hopefully, in the not too
>distant future, federal regulators will put an end to this practice and
>impose severe penalties for those institutions that are found to be in
>violation.

J. Chris Johnston
Polymers Branch, Materials Division (216) 433-5029
NASA Lewis Research Center (216) 433-5033 (fax)
21000 Brookpark Rd. MS 105-1 James.C.Johnston@lerc.nasa.gov
Cleveland, OH 44135
Resistance is futile!