Re: 14N chemical shift reference ---> N2-gas from air at -72 ppm....

Strelenko Yuri A. (strel@cacr.ioc.ac.ru)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:00:12 +0000

Don Leek wrote:

> We recently ran some 14N spectra on a DRX-400. We used
> edasp to set the 14N frequency and set SR=0 for processing.
> Does anyone know what chemical shift reference SR=0
> approximately refers to in this case?
> Thanks.

Dear Dr. Leek,

Please, look for a small and arbitrary narrow signal of N2-gas
from atmospheric air, dissolved in your samples. The chemical shift of
this signal is approximately -72 ppm. The primary chemical shift
standard for N-14 NMR is nitromethane at 0.0 ppm. Solvent dependence
of nitrometane shemical shift is ~5 ppm.

With best wishes and kind regards, Yuri Strelenko.