RE: Hitachi DK512 hard drive replacement...

From: Bill Mohler (bill.mohler@oberlin.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:15:28 PST

For what it's worth...

 We had NO problems replacing our Hitachi DK512s-17 )(SMD interface)
hard drive with the "SRS" from BTI Computer Systems.

 There is a lot of confusing information about the Hitachi DK512
drive but here is what I have found:

1) DK512s is used for at least three different size drives, only
the suffix changes -8(86.1Meg) -12(120.6Meg) -17(172.3Meg).
2) Our DK512s-17 is an SMD interface and I have seen DK512 (no "s")
listed as an ESDI interface. There may be different interfaces
in the same drive family.
3) BTI Computer Systems has information for a DK812s-17, which
has specifications identical to the DK512s-17. Could there be
different drive families with similar specifications?
4) The drive is old, Hitachi doesn't have it listed on their
web site and won't answer my email request for information.
5) The drive has built-in termination (56 ohm R-packs) and
cannot be transferred to another system or drive. The SMD
interface must be terminated, it will not work without.
6) The Aspect 3000 supports only one drive (?) and that drive
address should be "0" (?, "0" works for our system).

 The BTI "SRS" is an external drive enclosure with an ESDI
interface drive and ESDI to SMD "translator" board. You
simply remove the 60-pin and 26-pin hard drive cables from
the Bruker enclosure, connect them to the BTI "SRS" and set
some clearly marked DIP switches (for DK812s-17). The Aspect
"sees" the SRS as a Hitachi DK512 drive.

        BTI Computer Services
        556 E. Weddell Dr. Suite 10
        Sunnyvale, Ca 94089-2107
        (408) 733-1122

 There is another company with "new" DK512s-17 drives in stock and
under warranty. We had the BTI system on-hand, but Computer Field
Service was very helpful and very accommodating. This would be the
"neatest" solution since there is no external enclosure.

        Computer Field Services, Inc.
        64 Bellevue Ave.
        Melrose, MA 02176
        (781) 662-1710
        Email: Dcronin874@aol.com

 Last, thanks to the people at Bruker (Michelle, Allen) for
their continued support. Always prompt to respond and willing
to help.

Bill Mohler
Oberlin College