N2 gas for solids work

From: Deane D McIntyre (dmcintyr@ucalgary.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 13:30:07 PDT

We are in the process of constructing a lab to house a
Bruker Avance 700 with solids capability and are investigating
(again) ways of obtaining N2 gas at the required pressure
(ca 7bar or 100 psig).

A bank of N2 compressed gas cylinders is one possibility
but is not really suitable as a long tem solution if we
do a lot of solids experiments.

One solution is a N2 separater/compressor but we have
been told that the cost of such a setup would be around
$50,000 (Canadian, ca $35,000 US) which we would like to
avoid if at all possible.

Has anyone experience with using N2 from high pressure N2
dewars with a manifold system that automatically switches from
one dewar to the other, as used in hospitals? One source
of this equipment is Western Enterprises:

http://www.westernenterprises.com/innovator/index.html

This would be much cheaper but of course is of little
use if it does not work properly. Is anyone in the NMR
comunity using such a setup? I would appreciate also
other suggestions regarding solutions to this problem.

Cheers,

Deane D McIntyre,
NMR Manager,
Dept. Biological Sciences, University of Calgary
2500 University Dr NW Calgary Alberta CANADA T2N 1N4
Phone 403-220-4193
Deane@deane.bio.ucalgary.ca
http://deane.bio.ucalgary.ca/