Printing problem

From: BoB LeSuer (rlesuer@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 04:26:49 PST

Hi all,

  We have a recurring problem with printing that I can't quite get a
handle on. We have an SGI (IRIX 6.5) running XWinNMR 2.6 and a HP
laserjet 5000. As far as I can tell, I *never* run into problems when
printing through XWinPlot (v 2.6.0) either using the program or autoplot
from XWinNMR. However, if I use the plot command from XWinNMR, I get a
"processing job" message on the printer, and then it just sits there,
waiting for a new job. Nothing gets left in the queue `lpstat -t`.
Users typically start typing in plot commands ad absurdum and the
workstation crawls to a halt. At this point `lpstat -t` does show a
slew of plot jobs in the queue and the system will be restored to its
typical speed by killing all processes which remain open from the
offending user. I then `cancel` all the jobs in the queue and can print
from XWinPlot, *but still not from XWinNMR*. In order to print from
XWinNMR, I need to use `cfpp` and install a printer-plotter. Who cares
which one, just as long as it is on the same device (/dev/plp for us)
that the real printer is on. Making sure this new printer is *NOT* set
as the default printer, I can now plot from XWinNMR using `plot` and
subsequently remove the virtual printer I just installed.

  I end up performing this routine around once per month. I have
noticed that only one or two users are the cause of this problem and I
believe it is due to some faulty parameters the users set in edo, edg,
or something similar. I haven't been able to squash the bugs though and
any assistance in understanding what might be happening and the
internals of how XWinNMR sets up printer-plotter would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

BoB