Re: XWin-Plot versus "plot"

From: Taulelle Francis (taulelle@chimie.u-strasbg.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 12:41:57 PST

Dear all,

>at the recent UK Bruker Users' Meeting, it became clear that quite a lot of
>users did NOT consider XWin-Plot, in its present form at least, to be a
>full and satisfactory replacement for the older "plot" function in XWin-NMR.

I have the same feeling, XWin-Plot does not do what I want as fast as what
I would like. And my whole lab suffered from it for a long time.
I am a solid state NMR person, probably a disqualifying position for
talking about routine plots. However its is always rewarding t be able to
"read" a high resolution spectrum by extracting immediately the pertinent
parameters within seconds.
To tell the truth in my lab we were really pushing for Linux usage.
But when we realized that for a plot cut and paste was only working
efficiently with defining "edo" as clipboard and "viewing" allowed to
import into your Word, PowerPoint or anyother graphical software within
seconds, then we went back for that "only" feature (positive feature) to
Windows versions.

>Mike Engelhardt said that he could not understand this. He felt that
>XWin-Plot provided all the functionality of "plot" and more and that the
>"plot" function was no longer needed. He asked for users to report their
>problems with XWin-Plot, so that he could sort them out.

Mike, you should be careful about arguing about functionality. Bruker
software is probably the richest software in functionalities, but to say
the least, difficult in ergonomics. Ergonomy is probably a concept to
reinvent there.

Actually, in internet browsers, the functionalities were built onto text
commands, but the "dressing" of these text commands into more and more
"natural" commands or customized windows was considerably improved, without
changing the background commands that worked as a "norm".
So depending on your introduction in the game of NMR plotting you should be
able to use the old direct edg or a dressed version of it.
Relearning 34.567 new commands in a new environment that needs to be
customized to fit your needs with as many new commands is just a waste of
time and of competence.
I hoped honestly to move to Linux massively two years ago for XwinNMR, but
we just tried to import plots into a paper, within seconds, plot, copy,
paste, in a decent format (that does not need to be reworked for hours),
into a report, publication or visual presentation.
You could consider to use instead of Microsoft Office, StarOffice or its
new version OpenOffice under Linux, Windows or Macs, and do the same.
We move back to Windows for that only reason, not because of some
immoderate love of Microsoft environment.
So suppressing edg under Linux would be an agression, though improving
access to its parameters would be a delight.
Developping two or three parallel versions of plotting within the same
software has always been a puzzling attitude.
And now suppressing one of them that is known to be widely used
is even more puzzling.

Francis Taulelle.

Francis Taulelle, Directeur de Recherche, RMN et Chimie du Solide,
Tectonique Moléculaire du Solide FRE 2423 CNRS,
Universite Louis Pasteur 4 Rue Blaise Pascal, 67070 Strasbourg, France
Tel: +33 (0) 390 241 500 Fax: +33 (0) 390 245 001
mailto:taulelle@chimie.u-strasbg.fr
web@ http://andalousite.u-strasbg.fr