Re: XWin-Plot versus "plot"

From: H.Toms (h.toms@qmul.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 01:11:37 PST

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, John Snyder wrote:

> -------------
>
> Improvements that I would suggest for xwinplot would include:
>
> Allow the {Edit} & {1D/2D Edit} windows to be open at same time & also be
> able to use "EXPAND" button
>
> Give us an option for the projections for 2Ds where the CY scaling can be
> set to a fixed value. The automatic rescaling when changing plot regions
> is a pain.
>
> Have a recall last expanded region(s) capability.
> -----------

I would just like to second the above points. Trying to hold on to "plot"
is almost certainly pointless. Bruker have made their minds up to ditch
it, as they made clear at the users meeting. IMHO we should direct our
fire at improving xwinplot/autoplot rather than crying over
plot.

Certainly the scaling of projections in xwinplot is the dumbest feature in
any Bruker software, it must have annoyed just about everyone who uses it.
The way {Edit} and {1D/2D Edit} contain mutually useful parameters is
likewise a pain - e.g. you can turn the axis on or off with {1D/2D Edit}
but you cant change the units! Why not put *all* NMR related settings in
{1D/2D Edit} and only use {Edit} for object attributes, so that it serves
the same purpose for spectrum objects as for all other types of object
(title, parameters etc...)?

FWIW I have grown to like xwinplot and now use it for all my plots. If you
spend a little time learning its features you soon find you can produce
hardcopy just as fast as with plot.

regards

Harold Toms
NMR Service
Queen Mary and Westfield College
London University
URL = http://iodine.chem.qmul.ac.uk/

That which we are, we are:
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

"Ulysses", Alfred, Lord Tennyson.