re: NMR and pregnancy

From: Lucia Tonucci (tonucci@sci.unich.it)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 03:45:37 PDT

Dear all

I try to summarize all responses I received, as someone asked me.

Well,
- many pregnant women have been imaged by NMR to monitor their baby but
it's a temporary exposition to magnetic field.

- there is NO scientific evidence to support harmful effects of static
magnet fields (like those of NMR) for pregnant women but there is NO proof
that they are completely safe.

- there are many women who worked with 200 - 600 MHz NMR (also no
ultrashielded) during their pregnancy, doing the fills, changing probes,
etc, without problems for babies, mothers or birth.

- many NMR managers suggested that pregnant women (especially in the first
trimester) operate at the console, avoiding the region of very strong
magnetic field.

Thank you again
Lucia Tonucci

Dr. Lucia Tonucci, PhD