LockSwitch for AVANCE system?----FOLLOW UP.

From: Jim Bloxsidge (j.bloxsidge@surrey.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 04:34:21 PST

Dear Bruker users,

original query:

can anyone give me some advice about controlling lock switches? (DRX-500
console, HPPR/2 preamp, XWin-NMR on WinNT).

I would like to thank all those who sent me information on how to control
such a switch (and Alan Boyd/Tim Claridge for a design).

What I've got is a miniature coax cable in the wiring loom of my 2-Bay DRX
console which is connected to pin L of connector T3 of the TCU. This
corresponds to control-line nmr8-4.

This line is switched active(low) by the Pulse Program instruction
"setnmr8|4" and reset by "setnmr8^4". The file "avance.incl", in the pp
directory, maps these to the macros "H2_PULSE" and "H2_LOCK". See the pulse
program for deuterium gradshim, "imgegs1d2h".

If I run the gradshim pulse program, I see this line go low, at the
beginning of the pulse sequence, and high, when it has finished, as expected.

If I put these macros into a standard, deuterium-observe pulse program and
run a set number of scans to completion, I see the same switching. Fine, so
far.

If I stop the acquisition with "halt", interrupting the "go loop", the line
does NOT reset to high (inactive), although a lock-off instruction ("d11
do:f2"), after the "go loop", does seem to act. Similarly, if I do an
"rga", which also interrupts the "go loop" when the gain is satisfactory,
this doesn't reset the line, either.

This isn't a problem, as such. "rga" is normally followed by "zg" and I can
always force a reset with "ii" (or "II" after "ZG" in the "xaua" sequence).
Any different parameter set will always reinitiate the TCU anyway.

I would be interested, however, to hear if anyone else has observed this
and what the explanation is.

Regards Jim Bloxsidge

J P Bloxsidge Email: j.bloxsidge@surrey.ac.uk
Chemistry (C4),
University of Surrey Tel: +44-(0)1483-686852
GUILDFORD
Surrey GU2 7XH Fax: +44-(0)1483-686851
UK