New 3.4KHz HP data station

From: Alan Boyd (a.s.f.boyd@hw.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 09:04:12 PDT

Dear BUMmers,

We've just got a whizzy new HP data station to replace our old SGI O2. It
came with Topspin and, of course, the Topspin Plot Editor.

Among other difficulties, there is a condition, apparently originating from
use of the TPE, where the computer seems to slow down to an almost complete
halt. It is unresponsive to mouse clicks or keyboard entries, and windows
either don't move or move only after several tens of seconds, and then the
windows underneath don't redraw. The effects are not confined to TPE, but
may also be seen in the main program and in the behaviour of the Linux
(KDE) desktop.

All you can do is to wait, usually 5 to 10 minutes, for some semblance of
action to return, and then quit TPE, and sometimes even Topspin, and try
again.

There is only one user logged in (or even in existence) and the effect is
not connected to any unauthorised entry attempts (of which there have been
a few already).

Rumour has it that the problem is 'something to do with fonts', but whether
there are some missing, too many or just some misplaced is not known to me.

Bruker have not so far been able to provide a remedy for this rather
irritating problem. Has anyone else got any ideas?

Alan

--

•--------------------------------------------------• Dr A.S.F.Boyd Chemistry Department NMR Spectroscopist Heriot-Watt University phone: +44-131-451 3214 Riccarton fax: +44-131-451 3180 Edinburgh email: a.s.f.boyd@hw.ac.uk EH14 4AS http://dava.eps.hw.ac.uk/ Scotland •------------------------------------Made on a Mac-•