CPU/4 on ASX spectrometer

From: Glenn Facey (GAFACEY@science.uottawa.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 07:50:40 PST

Dear Bruker users:

I am having problems with an ASX spectrometer for solids. The
spectrometer has the older tube amplifiers which are controlled with
an HPCU. When purchased (1993), the spectrometer was running
UXNMR on an ASPECTSTATION. It was upgraded a number of
years ago to run XWINNMR on an SGI O2. The console has a
CPU/4 board. I notice the following problems:

1. Spectrometer could no loger change the tuning parameters for
the high power amplifiers however it could control the gain
parameters for the amplifiers. The HPCU was swapped with two
HPCU's from Bruker. Strangely, with the new HPCU's the tuning of
the amplifiers could be adjusted but the gain could not.

2. When pressing the reset button on the CPU/4, all the LED's off
after approximately 5 seconds and it takes a full 20 minutes to be
able to telnet to the spectrometer. After this 20 minutes, the
sprectrometer will accept commands and with the exception of the
problem with the high power amplifiers, will behave nornmally. I
tried awapping the CPU/4 (and the attached memory extension)
with one from Bruker and the new CPU/4 would not boot at all.

3. When doing a "cf", the HPCU is not recognied.

Does anyone have any idea what this (these) problem(s) may be?
I would like to follow the boot process of the CPU/4 with a separate
terminal but I do not have the correct cable. The cable is a round
male 6 pin? (older style keyboard cable) on one end and a 9 pin
female serial connector (for the com port of a PC) on the other end.
Does anyone have such a cable? Does anyone have the pin
assignments so I can build one?

Any and all help appreciated.

Glenn

Glenn A. Facey, Ph.D.