Re: Odd behaviour with ATM equipped probe. (fwd)

From: Markus Hoffmann <mhoffman@brockport.edu>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 18:17:25 EST
Hi everyone,

In the meantime, I did make progress on the problem with the help of Bruker probe experts. It is indeed the probe. My understanding now is that the fine adjustment is actually some sliding bar. There must be a bad spot on that sliding bar such that we can get signal at some positions but not others. For example, on the silicon signal, the sliding bar winds up at a different portion of the sliding bar and all is well there, but in carbon 13, we wind up in a range, where there is bad contact. Changing the course adjustment (in our case from 77 to 78) on the C13 signal also helps to bring the fine adjustment at a spot where contacts are fine.
In short, the sliding bar will have to be replaced.
Why was this not detected at Bruker. After talking with their personnel my understanding is that they have some virtual device for checking/adjusting tuning and matching, and this did not pick up the error.

Anyway, I hope my entry was nevertheless of use, just in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future.

All the best,

Markus

Markus Hoffmann
Department of Chemistry