How to Apply to our Graduate Program
Most graduate students start in our fall term, beginning September 1. To apply, use the McMaster On-Line University Application System. Please contact us if you have questions about the online application process. For Canadian students coming to McMaster, your application fee may be reimbursed; contact us for details.
We recommend prospective students review faculty members' research interests and contact potential supervisors with a copy of your resume, information on grades from recent degrees, and a statement of your future research interests. This provides with an opportunity to introduce yourself and helps potential supervisors to determine whether your background and future plans are a good match with their research program. We can arrange a visit to the Department so you can meet potential supervisors and current graduate students. For qualified students, most travel and accommodation costs will be covered.
If you do submit your application without contacting a potential supervisor, the Department will try to find a potential supervisor based on your interests.
Our early application deadline for a September 1 start is February 1. If we receive your application by that deadline, you will receive first priority for internal Entrance Scholarships. You may also receive an invitation to visit the Department.
Final application deadlines:
- For a September 1 start: April 30 (applications open November 30).
- For a January 1 start: September 1 (applications open March 31).
- For a May 1 start: January 1 (Applications open September 30).
Required Documents:The following items are required before your online application will be considered complete.
- One official transcript of all academic work completed to date should be sent directly from the issuing institution. An applicant can send the transcript as long as it comes in a sealed envelope issued by the institution. If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, an official copy of your diploma is also required.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from instructors most familiar with your academic work. Please note that McMaster University uses the Electronic Referencing System. By entering the email address of your referee through the online application, the system will automatically send an e-Reference request on your behalf. If, for some reason, you are unable to use the Electronic Referencing System, the Reference form can be downloaded here.
- If English is not your native language, an original of your TOEFL or IELTS score in English is required. A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 92 (580 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 237 on the computer-based TOEFL test) or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is needed. The GRE General Test is not a required document.
- A statement of interest in pursuing graduate studies. (Please include your full name on the statement.)
All required documents should be sent to:
Christine Cosgrove - on leave, please send to Sara Warner in her absence
Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology
1280 Main Street West, ABB 156
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4M1
Please contact us if you have questions.