Update Regarding Spring/Summer Organic Chemistry Courses - 2215
As you will now be aware, the University has cancelled any in-person activities in courses for the Spring term of 2021. Accordingly, the Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology has reviewed and modified our offerings of CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 for the Spring and Summer terms, respectively. It is essential
that all enrolled students read and understand
the consequences of these changes, which are outlined below. All students who are enrolled should also recognize that these offerings will run under the revised course outlines which will be available on the web site and within the course Avenue shell soon. Please address any questions to your advisor.
- Due to the lockdown, the Spring 2021 offering of CHEM 2OA3 will operate with virtual labs only. It will continue to run with on-line exams. These aspects will be clearly delineated in the revised course outline, which will remain on the department web site and may be used in the future by external organizations to establish the parameters of the course.
- Students who choose to continue in this offering must recognize that it may not be acceptable for admission to programs such as graduate programs, or professional programs such as medical schools, or to employers. The Department and University will not accept any responsibility for any consequences arising from continuing in this offering.
- The Spring and Summer offerings will however be accepted for the purpose of student progression in programs (except as applies in item 4 below).
- Students who are considering applying for entry into any program offered by the Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology in 2021 should note that neither of the spring and summer 2021 offerings of CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 will be accepted as equivalent to CHEM or CHEMBIO 2OG3 and CHEM or CHEMBIO 2OD3, respectively. Such students are strongly recommended to withdraw and take the latter courses in the Fall and Winter terms.
- We fully expect to offer in-person laboratories in the Fall offering of CHEM 2OA3 and winter 2OB3. Students who wish to ensure they have an acceptable in-person lab component should wait for these offerings. An in-person make-up lab option will not be available for the Spring or Summer offerings.
- The Department will make every effort possible to ensure that there is adequate space available for the Fall 2021 offering of CHEM 2OA3, in particular for those who decide to drop the spring offering, and that this will run with as many in-person labs as practical to allow for acceptance by the units specified in item 2 above.
- Completion of the virtual labs in these offerings over the Spring and Summer will NOT be accepted for the purposes of lab exemption in any future offerings.
- To ensure some degree of certainty for all parties, the summer offering of 2OB3 will have virtual labs only. To ensure appropriate progression in labs and student safety, students who do not or will not complete CHEM 2OA3 with at least some in-person labs (i.e. prior to Jan. 2021) should NOTE that they will be seriously disadvantaged in CHEM 2OB3 offerings in winter 2022 and beyond, when labs are expected to resume in-person. Therefore it is strongly recommended that any students who still wish to complete CHEM 2OA3 this spring also complete CHEM 2OB3 this summer if they require both credits.
- We are adjusting enrolment limits to the summer 2OB3 offering to accommodate students in this group.
- The Spring offering of CHEM 2OA3 is full. No new seats will be offered as a result of the changes above and no new enrolments will be permitted. Requests for such to the instructional team will not be answered.