Career Posting - LabStores Associate - Chemistry & Chemical Biology
The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology is looking for a LabStores Associate
Job ID 46168
The Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology, with a contingent of 29 full-time faculty members, conducts leading-edge research and top-tier training of undergraduate and graduate students. We offer undergraduate programs in Chemistry, Chemical Biology, and Sustainable Chemistry, including co-operative education options. We offer state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and instrumentation for both education and research, and maintain rich collaborative relationships with many departments across campus.
Job Summary: The LabStores Associate optimizes the in-store shopping experience by creating a clean, organized and inviting shopping environment. This role ensures merchandise is rotated, cleaned and maintained on a regular basis and re-stocked in a timely fashion with merchandise flowing seamlessly between receiving, the sales floor and storage locations. Responsible for organizing stock in storage areas, ensuring HECMET (Higher Education Cooperative for Hazardous Material and Equipment Tracking) is updated appropriately.
Purpose and Key Functions:
• Responsible for receiving items; ensure all merchandise has been received in the inventory management system prior to moving it out of the receiving area and into the appropriate storage location.
• Review receiving logs against incoming shipments and follow-up on any issues for resolution.
• Ensure merchandise is accurately tagged and secured.
• Perform regular sales floor maintenance such as filling, organizing, rotating merchandise, and dusting.
• Assist buyers with merchandise returns by preparing accurate paperwork, packaging goods to be shipped and coordinating ship dates with the receiving department.
• Maintain ongoing and proactive communication with Oversight Committee about various issues such as delivery timelines, new arrivals, product placement/ features and sell-throughs.
• Maintain and communicate standards regarding use and storage of merchandise and display fixtures and for transporting merchandise between receiving, sales floor, and storage areas.
• Communicate core goods and best sellers to Oversight Committee, as well as customer feedback.
• Facilitate the movement of goods between various on campus locations (e.g. ethanol).
• Be familiar with and actively support the store's loss prevention guidelines and inform security of any suspicious or unusual activity.
• Model high service standards by greeting and actively engaging customers on the sales floor to determine needs, locate products, and make product suggestions.
• Update, maintain, and verify information in the inventory management system.
• Provide policy and procedure information to others.
• Write a variety of documents such as procedural manuals, policy documents, correspondence and minutes.
• Collect, verify and format data for input into a variety of spreadsheets and databases.
• Format, word process, edit and proofread a variety of documents and materials.
• Apply standard mathematical skills such as formulas and equations to perform a variety of calculations.
2 years Community College diploma in a relevant field of study.
Requires 3 years of relevant experience.
Experience handling chemical is considered an asset.
Health and Safety training and knowledge is an asset.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.
Vaccination Policy Statement
The University is committed to providing and maintaining healthy and safe working and learning environments for all employees, students, volunteers and visitors. In accordance with the University’s Vaccination Policy-COVID-19 Requirements for Employees and Students (the “Vaccination Policy”), effective October 18, 2021 all McMaster community members, including employees, accessing a McMaster campus or facility in person are required to be fully vaccinated or to have received an exemption from the University for a valid human rights ground. This is a term and condition of employment. The University will continue to follow the guidance of public health organizations to define fully vaccinated status.
Further information is available at the following link: https://covid19.mcmaster.ca/vaccination-mandate/. More information on the University’s Health and Safety framework is available online at https://hr.mcmaster.ca/resources/covid19/.