HP Plotters, 1200 baud

Joe Laughlin (jsl@bruker.com)
Fri, 5 Nov 93 15:15:55 EST

Hi Gang,

Keith Brown writes:

> I have had occasion to hook up a HP plotter to our Aspect 3000 and found
> that it works fine except that I could not get it to work at a baud rate
> higher than 1200.

This sounds like an incorrect cable, since I have always used my 7550a
at 9600 baud without problems. Other factoids for you:

Don't bother to set the pen pressure and speed on the plotters front
panel, since one of the first instructions that DISNMR sends to the
plotter is IN, which sets everything to the defaults for the pen carrier
being used. DISMSL, doesn't use this instruction so it will work correct
for MSL users.

More information on the 7550 command set. The 7550 plottter actually has a
superset of the HPGL language. Therefore there are some commands like LO,
etc. that don't exist on other plotters. HP appears to have standardized
on the HPGL2 language. Unfortunately it is quite a bit different than the
first implementations of HPGL.

Joe Laughlin human: (508) 667-9580
Assistant Manager, machine: jsl@bii.bruker.com
Software Development