Re: patch installation problem

Jane Strouse (strousej@chem.ucla.edu)
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:19:42 -0800

Dear Don,

If you are using a shadow file for passwords (generally recommended)
you will have this problem. I have gotten around it before by editing the
password file to put in a password for the NMR superuser. Just type out
/etc/shadow, select it's encrypted password with the mouse, then insert it
into /etc/passwd in the usual field for the password of the NMR superuser.

Jane

At 02:24 PM 12/3/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Recently, we installed IRIX 6.5 and xwinnmr 2.5. Today I downloaded the
>most recent patches for 2.5 and installed them. As the instructions
>suggest, I attempted to do a 'cf' and the program asks for the root
>password. When I enter the correct password, it will not accept it. I have
>no problem logging in as superuser outside of xwinnmr so the password is
>correct. I have checked the obvious things (e.g. CapsLock) and we do not
>use a special NMR superuser so there should be no conflict there.
>
>Has anyone run into this one?
>Thanks.
>Don
>
>***********************************
>Donald M. Leek
>Chemical Biology NMR Laboratory
>Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences
>National Research Council Canada
>Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R6
>phone: (613) 993-6356
> fax: (613) 952-0068