Re: patch installation problem

John Snyder (john-snyder@uiowa.edu)
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 15:13:09 -0600

Don,

It may be due to BUG #1557 if your system is using 'shadow passwords'
Go into system administration on the SGI & check under network security.

I ran into this problem just a few days ago installing XWINNMR 2.6 PL3.
What I did was to temporarily turn off the 'shadow passwords' while I
finished up the installation. Allen Wan at Bruker had remembered about
this bug.

At 02:24 PM 12/3/99 -0500, Leek, Don wrote:

>Recently, we installed IRIX 6.5 and xwinnmr 2.5. Today I downloaded the
>most recent patches for 2.5 and installed them. As the instructions
>suggest, I attempted to do a 'cf' and the program asks for the root
>password. When I enter the correct password, it will not accept it. I have
>no problem logging in as superuser outside of xwinnmr so the password is
>correct. I have checked the obvious things (e.g. CapsLock) and we do not
>use a special NMR superuser so there should be no conflict there.
>
>Has anyone run into this one?
>Thanks.
>Don
>
>***********************************
>Donald M. Leek
>Chemical Biology NMR Laboratory
>Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences
>National Research Council Canada
>Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R6
>phone: (613) 993-6356
> fax: (613) 952-0068