Re: SAMBA and Windows 2000

From: Dr. Guenter Schmidt (guenter.schmidt@bruker.de)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 07:40:03 PST

"Charles E. Cottrell" wrote:

> I recently switched from running NT to windows 2000 on my PC's. Before the
> switch I was using samba on serveral SGI's to allow easy transfer of nmr
> data. Does anyone out there have this setup with a windows 2000 based
> computer? I cannot get it working now and I get a message stating that
> "this account cannot login."
>
> Perhaps the problem I am having is related to how the password is
> transmitted to the SGI. WhenI was running NT I had the system setup with
> the password being sent unencrypted to the SGI. To do this required a
> change in the NT registry. Perhaps something similar is needed for windows
> 2000. If any of you have a procedure to do this or for that matter the way
> to set up the system to send encrypted passwords, I would appreciate
> getting your advice.

For best interconnection Win2000 <=> Samba, you should at least
use Samba 2.0.7,
See http://de.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.0.7.html.

After installation of the SGI tardist files you will have a file:
        /usr/samba/docs/Win2000_PlainPassword.reg
which enables plain text passwords in Windows 2000.

--
Dr. Günter Schmidt                 | Bruker Analytik GmbH
                                   | NMR Software Department
E-Mail: Guenter.Schmidt@Bruker.DE  | Silberstreifen
Phone: +49 721 5161-443/Fax:-480   | D-76287 Rheinstetten