RE: SAMBA and Windows 2000

From: Winston Belle (winston.belle@bruker.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 08:18:15 PST

Configuring SAMBA to receive encrypted passwords from WinNT or Win2K depends
on the version of SAMBA you have. Later versions of SAMBA use a local
'smbpasswd' file to authenticate encrypted passwords.

However, to disable encrypted passwords in Win2K do the following:

In Admin Tools, click 'Local Security Policy'

On the 'Security Setting' folder select 'Local Policies' then select
'Security Options'.

Here you can double click 'Send unencrypted passwords to third-party SMB
Servers'. Enable the option.

This maintains encrypted passwords to Windows based systems, whilst sending
unencrypted to SAMBA. However, it might be better to install a later version
of SAMBA that accepts encrypted passwords to strengthen network security.

Hope this helps

Winston

 Winston Belle
 IT Team Leader Phone (+44) 024 7685 5200
 Bruker UK Limited Fax (+44) 024 7646 5317
 Coventry CV4 9GH Email: winston.belle@bruker.co.uk
 England Web: www.bruker.co.uk