From: Kirk Marat (kirk_marat@umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 09:36:27 PDT

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for info on switching
between the Linux Xserver between 8 bit colour (required by XwinNMR)
and 16 or 24 bit colour (desirable for most other things) It turns out that
you have to start two X servers: 8 bit and whatever other mode you might
want. The details of how to do this are definitely NOT clear in the docs
that came with my Red Hat 7 release, but ARE clearly explained in:

> http://www.bruker.de/analytic/nmr-dep/nmrsoftw/prodinfo/suite_linux/

or

> http://www.tsoft.com/~rnunlist/geek/geekpage.html
> http://www.tsoft.com/~rnunlist/geek/linuxnmr/

I then ran into some font problems. The Bruker buglist keyword
entry for "font" didn't list my problem, but their new site-wide search
engine will
show:

> http://www.bruker.de/analytic/nmr-dep/nmrsoftw/passwd/bugs/bug2478.htm

Thanks to Guenter Schmidt of Bruker for pointing this out to me. What
happens is that
when XwinNMR is searching for fonts it hits the new 16 bit "unicode" fonts
first, and these are
incompatible with XwinNMR. The fix is quite easy, and is detailed in
bug2478. Guenter
also pointed out that if you install unicode fonts on your SGI you will have
the same
problem.

Cheers, and thanks again!
-Kirk

Kirk Marat, Ph.D., NMR Facility Manager
Dept. of Chemistry and Prairie Regional NMR Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N2, CANADA
kirk_marat@umanitoba.ca
ph. (204) 474-6259, FAX (204) 474-7608