Introduction and MSL SCSI Hard Disk Problem

From: Burton, Ian (Ian.Burton@nrc.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 10:22:12 PDT

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to introduce myself to the group. My name is Ian Burton and I
am an NMR spectroscopist with the National Research Council of Canada with
the Institute for Marine Biosciences. I am currently responsible for a
Bruker Avance 500 and an MSL-300. The research interests in our lab range
from small molecule structure to in-vivo spectroscopy.

Now, to jump in to the group with both feet. I was wondering if anyone out
there in cyberspace has had any experience with initializing a new SCSI hard
disk on an ASPECT-3000 using ADAKOS-SCSI vs 931118.A. I have been trying
this with a Seagate ST51080N 1GB Hard Disk. This is the disk drive and part
number that was recommended by Bruker. I can get NCRTEST to recognise the
disk and it passes the T0 and T1 tests. ADAKOS.SCSI will run through the
initialization OK and then hangs after the statement BOOTING SCSI DISK
TARGET 0. Back in NCRTEST the first few blocks seem to have something
written in them. The original SCSI disk came from Germany with everything
pre-installed in 1994, so there is no local experience in doing this.

Also, our 8" floppy drive went up in smoke the other day (literally) and
Bruker Canada has graciuosly loaned us a replacement floppy for 30 days so I
can get the replacement hard disk initialized. Does anyine out there know
of a source for these floppy drives in this era of CD's, DVD's, etc.?

If anyone out there can give me their experience with this it would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian Burton, M.Sc.