Slow tape

From: Jeff de Ropp (jsderopp@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:35:26 PDT

Dear BUM-list:

Please excuse cross-postings.

We recently purchased a DLT1 drive for our SGI O2 running IRIX 6.5. The
DLT transfer rate to tape is only about 100 kb/sec. We have tried this
many times and always got this approximate rate whether we are transferring
directories or just plain files.
The same tape drive on my three-year old PC gives backup rates of 1-2
Mb/sec. The question is why are the backup rates on the SGI so slow?

We are using the BackUp & Restore tool on the SGI. We have tested the rate
of transfer over the SCSI line between two hard drives and found it to be
in excess of 2 Mb/sec. We have taken the SGI off the network while doing
the backup and have no other significant processes running during backup.

I would welcome any ideas on why the tape backup rate is so slow and what
could be done to improve it.

Jeff de Ropp
NMR Facility
UC Davis