Re: ASPECT Connectivity

Strelenko Yuri A. (strel@nmr1.ioh.free.net)
Tue, 31 May 94 21:31:00 +0300

On 31 May 94 10:08:26 EST5EDT,
A.R.Garber, NMR Services <GARBER@psc.psc.scarolina.edu> wrote:

>My department is toying with the idea of providing benchtop nmr
>processing on a department wide basis. The department is wired for
>Ethernet. We have three Bruker ASPECT-3000 based spectrometers .......

Dear Dr. Garber,
We stand before the same problem as you. Now all our four Aspect
3000/2000 based spectrometers are connected to PC's via FASTRAN or
KERMIT-like program (transfers files via RS-232 port, 4 min per 32 Kw
file, author - Georgy Salnikov, Novosibirsk, Russia). This PC's are
connected via Ethernet to the local network. The slowest phase in FID
transfer to network users is to send file from Aspect to PC. The disks of
Aspect are not reachable from any network computer. This is serious
restrictions.

Some days ago we have started project of modernizations to solve this
and some other problems. Our ideas are:

1. Increase RAM of Aspects up to ~ 4 Mb.
2. Install motherboard of PC with Ethernet card and disk instead CDC or
Hitachi disk and create Aspect interface card for direct access to this
disk.
3. Modify ADAKOS to support new hardware and RAMdrive. This modified
ADAKOS will not support exotic hardware, be shorter and should be resident
in memory.

As we wait, when this project will be finished we get:

1. Whole DISNMR program with overlay, AU-programs, FID1...FID3,
SPC1...SPC3 be loaded to RAMDRIVE. This will two-fold speed up data
manipulation and processing. It is enough memory even for short 2D-spectra
collection and processing.

2. The installed in spectrometer PC will be connected to local
network as FTP-server and provide direct access to spectral data for all
net-users.

We would like to finish this modernizations at the begining of
September and only limited financial support of this project may slow down
our work.
With best wishes and kind regards, Yuri Strelenko
| Dr. Yuri A. Strelenko | |
| N.D.Zelinsky Institute | Fax (7-095) 135 5328 |
| of Organic Chemistry, | Tel (7-095) 135 9094 |
| Leninsky prospect 47, | e-mail strel@nmr1.ioh.free.net |
| 117913 Moscow B-334, | |
| Russia | |