From: em@ftp.bruker.com on Wed, Jun 14, 1995 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: AMX Problems--EN
To: banvilledl

> I have been having frequent problems with my Ethernet connection and
Lightnet
> connections from my AMX500 (running system software from 1993) going down.
> The only way to totally reestablish communciation seems to be by re-booting
> the instrument. Recently Bruker replaced my Ethernet board but the
> communication drop off persists and appears to effect both EN and LN
> simultaneously.

Hello Debbie,

I do not understand why both ethernet and lightnet are affected. It
should be one or the other. I would suggest check voltages first, to
make sure there are not any low or high readings. All voltages should
be +/- 5%. all except for the -5volts should be almost exact. The
-5volts should be -5.2volts, this is needed for the graphics board.

The ethernet board should display a number 3 in the LED at all times
unless a transfer is going on, then it will flicker between a 0 and
3.

What media are you using (Cheap or Eth)? What software are you using
to communicate (tcp/ip or bruknet)? During what application does it
hang up?

Best regards,
Ed Murray PH# 508-667-9580 Ext: 311
DiNOS Manager FAX# 508-667-6406
Bruker Instruments Email em@bruker.com

To: banvilledl

> Ed, Thank you for your prompt reply. In answer to some of your questions:
>
> I have Ethernet (not Cheap). This board is currently not being used but as
> the LED # of "0" (not 3 as you said it should). I use Tcp/ip (not
bruknet).
> The problem occurs spontaneously, i.e. no EN processes appear to be
running.
> When I ping from my SGi or from my Macintosh, it is simple not communicating
> at all.
>
> FYI: I recieved replies from others which I will forward to you. One
> suggested changing the jumpers on the board. When I replaced the board, I
> used the same jumper settings on the old board (which gave the same
problems).

Hello Debbie,

I got your message. Thanks for the other messages. I had no idea so
many other people are having this problem. I have an X32 here that
has been booted for I do not know how long and has no problems with
ethernet. Most of our other X32s are used for trouble shooting and
are up and down all day. Anyway, back to your problem. 2 suggestions.

1. Remove the 3 jumpers from the jumper labled "W28". If you hold the
board with the chips facing you and the outside edge (Side that
normally is exposed when it is plugged into the X32 chasis) to the
left. W28 should be located at the bottom edge of the board toward
the right side. There may be 3 jumpers there, if so remove them.

2. Move the board as close to the CPU as possible. We have had
problems in the past with the Ethernet having problems when it was
located to the right of the Array Processor. When you move the board
you must make sure to move the jumpers as well. There will be 5
jumpers on a slot that has no board in it.

Let me know how you make out.