ecoupler

Jeffrey Deropp (jsderopp@ucdavis.edu)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 14:29:11 -0800 (PST)

Here is a summary of the respnses I received on the issue of diminishing
pulse power with time on our AMX-400 ecoupler. Thanks to all who responded.
Our problem does not seem unique and some suggested fixes are given below.

Jeff de Ropp
UCD NMR Facility
jsderopp@ucdavis.edu
Phone: 916-752-7677
FAX: 916-752-3516
NMR Facility URL http://www.nmr.ucdavis.edu
***********************************
>From charlie@telemann.pse.umass.eduWed Nov 15 08:16:55 1995
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 05:21:51 -0500
From: leonard charles dickinson <charlie@telemann.pse.umass.edu>
To: jsderopp@ucdavis.edu

We had an ecoupler on the AMX500 we bought 2.5 years ago and Bruker replaced
it 8(eight!) times before it was replaced by a BLTH100 proton amplifier. We
have had not trouble since then. Our trouble was across-the-board reduced
power or no output. We found particularly that doing composite pulse
decoupling which is perhaps similar to your rapid rep time on the 10mm probe
usually took the ecoupler out.

My advice is damn the ecoupler and get a BLTH100 otherwise this sort
of problem will go on and on. It interfaced easily with our AMX though it
did require converting all hl? power statements to tl? and dl? which is
a bit of a pain but worth it if you can rely on you proton amp.

Best of luck...

Charlie Dickinson

| |
|Dr. L.Charles Dickinson voice mail and office (413)5771428 |
|Director of NMR Instrumentation lab telephone (413)545-0630, -5413 |
|Conte National Center for Polymer Research fax (413)5450082 |
|Department of Polymer Science and Engineering office Conte Rm 428 |
|University of Massachusetts |
|Amherst MA 01003 USA charlie@telemann.pse.umass.edu |
| |
| A fact is only a fact; |
| An idea is only an idea. |
| -Jean Piaget |
|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<|

Have you checked for problems in the preamp housing? Relay
contacts can become lossy. I have had two problems in this area and
in both cases the BB/Matching drawer was defective (problem was in
the X-nucleus path). A progressive mismatch over time might produce
your symptoms. When you experience your power loss does retuning
correct it?
(No it doesn't. J de Ropp)
Sincerely,

Andy.

Andy Soper.
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Electronics Section.
Rhodes University. P. O. Box 94, 6140 Grahamstown,
South Africa (The 'Rainbow People' Country).
Voice: +27 (0)461 318412 FAX: +27 (0)461 311205
Internet: paas@giraffe.ru.ac.za