Re: Responses to Unix vs Windows NT

From: Bill Gurley (bgurley@utk.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:37:31 PST

Keith Brown wrote:

> If Bruker wants to start using PC's to run their spectrometers why not
> offer a version of XWinnmr that runs under Linux? Most of the code is
> already available as code for the SGI so porting shouldn't be a major
> problem at all. Then you'd get xwinnmr running under an ultra stable os
> that could communicate very easily with other unix systems. It would even
> cut some costs for Bruker since Linux is free and they wouldn't have to
> purchase NT.
>
> My 2 cents ...

I agree with your 2 cents, Keith. About a year ago, there
was a similar dialog on this list or the AMMRL list, and I
bemoaned the fact that there is no effort by NMR
manufacturers in the Linux area. At that time, there were
several responses to my linux comment along the lines of not
trusting some "shareware" program with our beloved and
important spectrometers. These were very uninformed
comments, since Linux is neither shareware nor some
fly-by-night OS. Now look at what has happened since that
time. We're seeing names like Redhat, VALinux, etc. in the
daily NASDAQ reports, and companies like Oracle, Dell, IBM
and yes, even SGI supporting Linux!

-Bill-

 Bill Gurley, Supervisor of Technical Services
bgurley@utk.edu
 Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee
 Knoxville, TN 37996-1600 ***NEW Area Code*** phone
865-974-3145