RE: Responses to Unix vs Windows NT

From: Graupner, Paul (prgraupner@dowagro.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 13:02:05 PST

> If Bruker wants to start using PC's to run their
> spectrometers why not
> offer a version of XWinnmr that runs under Linux? Most of the code is
> already available as code for the SGI so porting shouldn't be a major
> problem at all. Then you'd get xwinnmr running under an ultra
> stable os
> that could communicate very easily with other unix systems.
> It would even
> cut some costs for Bruker since Linux is free and they
> wouldn't have to
> purchase NT.
>
> My 2 cents ...
>
> Keith Brown
> University of Saskatchewan
> Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

You can probably be quite sure that somewhere on this planet, it already
exists in Linux format. Unfortunately, Linux software is all sold at very
low price (like word perfect for Linux), so Bruker would only get away with
it if they more or less gave the software away, something that I can't see
happening in the near future.

What I would like as a compromise, is to see XWinplot in Linux format - that
shouldn't be too painful - and would be very useful (for me at least).

Paul Graupner dedicated UNIX user
Dow AgroSciences
Indianapolis