2H gradient shimming under automation

From: Ernest Schubert (ernest.schubert@bms.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 07:11:02 PST

BUM'ers,

First, I'm new to BUM, so let me introduce myself....My name is
Ernie Schubert and I've been involved with NMR for over 11
years. I've spent the last 5.5 years supporting synthetic
chemists in the pharmaceutical industry via automation and
structure elucidation.

Here at BMS in Wallingford, CT, we have 5 Bruker NMR's ranging in
field from 300-500MHz. I've been exploring the utility of 2H
gradient shimming under automation on our new Avance 500 equipped
with a Z-gradient QNP probe (1H, 13C, 31P, 19F). My experience
thus far hasn't been too gratifying. I'm using a map generated
by a Bruker applications chemist on a 600uL sample of CDCl3. I'm
also using a 2 step method: first shimming on Z1Z2, then
Z1Z2Z3. The gradient shimming seems to take longer and doesn't
do a very good job at shimming to boot.

I'm hoping to draw on the experiences of the members of this mail
list. What kind of shimming do you utilize under automation? Do
you have any experiences/opinions with 2H gradient shimming under
automation? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions,

Ernie

--
Ernest M. Schubert
Research Scientist I