question about heating NMR tubes

From: Curtis Pulliam (cpulliam@utica.ucsu.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 12:04:52 PDT

I am the person in charge of our 5 year old Bruker DPX250 at a smallish 4-year predominately undergraduate college. We have a new organic person who is drying his (and his students) NMR tubes in an oven. This is something we have never done in the past since I have heard that it could distort the straightness of the tubes which could lead to serious probe problems (in my book, any probe problem is a serious problem). Am I wrong in thinking that heating NMR tubes is a practice we should not do?

Thanks,

Curtis

Curtis R. Pulliam, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Coordinator of Chemistry, Geology, Physics
Utica College of Syracuse University
1600 Burrstone Road
Utica, NY 13502
(315) 792-3140