Re: Bruker 2DWINNMR ; WINDOW or UNIX

From: Keith Brown (brownk@chem4823.usask.ca)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 09:54:29 PDT

> This sounds like a problem of concern to many NMR spectroscopists. At
> UMBC we have been firmly in the SGI camp but are now seeking replacements
> for these workstations. Our experience with NT indicates it is fair but
> not suitable for scientific programs. Linux on PC however seems much
> better and runs much faster than SGI for computing problems. The only
> difficulty is a shortage of good NMR software. Can anyone provide reports
> of success with PC Linux NMR software ? NMRview and NMRpipe look
> promising on Linux PC's.

This is also of concern here. A few months ago I posted my opinions on a
very similar issue concerning the operating system used by spectrometer
workstations. Although my concerns are mainly with networking I'm sure
that there are others that could be raised. Also, I agree that Linux would
be an excellent option for users who want a cheap, reliable workstation
... notwithstanding that the Linux OS and related libraries are in a
continual state of change. I've never had any major problems resulting
from either an upgrade in the basic Linux kernel or any graphics
libraries.

For those who might want to vote on the issue, there is a page at
http://www.nmr.de/ where you can do so. I've cast mine for unix and it
seems that 70-80% of folks out there are with me.

Keith Brown
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

REALITY.SYS not found, universe halted